Thursday, February 15, 2007

We get used to the chains we wear, and we miss them when removed.

We get used to the chains we wear, and we miss them when removed.
-John Dewey, The Child and The Curriculum

This quote is self explanatory. It is trying to explain that when we get used to certain situations in life which we are accustomed to and when we change we tend to miss the old stuff.
An example of this from my own life is when I first got my phone my mother used to call me all the time, she wanted to know my every move and wanted to make sure I was okay. But now she barely calls. At the time it bothered me when she called me so much because I felt as if she was trying to find out where I was at all times but now that she doesn’t call I feel weird and I actually miss her calls. This shows me that when my mother constantly bothered me and gave me all those lectures I never realized why she was doing that and it became annoying. But once they limit there calls and don’t bother too much then we realize that we actually miss it.

1 comment:

bill said...

Vanessa,

I like this example! You're right, it's a good one.

I think you know this, but I'd like to see you writing more. Remember, at this stage, I'm hoping to see a lot more journal writing from people taking this class -- at least 2 or 3 solid entries for every week of class, on average -- so let me know if you're having any trouble with keeping pace. Remember, ACTIVE journal writing is a key component of this class.