Thursday, February 15, 2007

Reading and Writing

I never looked at reading as “medicine for the eye” as the French monk Hugh of St. Victor stated. My own translation to his look on reading is that when you read, your brain is being fed all this knowledge that you are receiving from reading a book. You are learning new things each time you read anything. It could be a quote, a book, poem, essay or even a billboard.

I have always known that writing is an essential part of our lives but I never put to much thought into how much we actually write in our daily lives. This essay made me realize that most of what we do or how we communicate is through writing. It could be taking notes in class, text messaging or instant messaging a friend or even writing a letter to a loved one. These are things that we do almost daily. Writing is one of the main sources of communication with others, besides speaking.

1 comment:

bill said...

P.S.

And when you do write, I'm interested in what you're writing, like I am here -- so that's another reason why I encourage you and others to keep pace...